Tuesday, March 1, 2011

A Sagacious, Lonely Mom Speaks

My daughter has recently escaped from our home and is on an adventure...spending 5 months staying with a friend down South and also then doing some traveling. Our house, predictably, is not the same without her and her leaving has not been with out stress for all involved. I think it has been hardest on my husband...she is our only child and the apple of his eye. So now he's blindly groping (without that apple in your eye, blindness can only result, right...? Although I would have THOUGHT you'd see more clearly...go figure) and trying to find his footing.
For me, I have the hardest time when I'm away somewhere and, (this is a mom-thing, I think) I'll see something...a brownie, a nice shade of nailpolish etc... and think, "Oh, I'll get this for A. and bring it home for her." Then like the floor falling out from under my feet comes the thought, "She not AT home." Or pulling into the driveway and anticipating her greeting me...again, the same lurch in my stomach.

For A., the hardness of it is now becoming harder as maybe some of the initial excitement and adventure has worn off a bit and now SHE MISSES MOMMY. (sorry , just had to capitalize that...it's a mom-thing.) Thank God for technology...when I"m a Facebook chat away...or her dad can text her and find her whereabouts at any given moment... WHAT did parents in Colonial days do when their little one went off to his life and to get even a letter to him or from him took WEEKS??? ("Thank you God for not placing me in a little house on the prairie in the 1700's!!) My husband doesn't know how good he has it. (I don' t think he'd be much for splitting logs either!)

But, (and here's my point)...last night when we talked and again this morning, my daughter (AHehmm , AHEM, may I have your attention all you moms of 12-16 year olds!) My daughter called me WISE. She even called me a SAGE! and best of all she meant it. NOT A DROP OF SARCASM there. So you see, moms, do your job and do it right (not that I'm any model there....but my daughter is forgiving...or has memory issues)...and they will come back and call you wise. HMMmmm Isn't there a verse about that???
Proverbs 31 maybe???

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment, even to scold me, (if you must) Just PLEASE try to be kind! Anyone can comment, even those without accounts. Just select the "anonymous" tab and if you want, identify yourself in the body of your comment.