Saturday, March 19, 2011

Missing You....

Hers are the only ears left who perk up at the sound of my footsteps. Hers is the only body now warming my bed at night. The only one left for whom I'm responsible. She is the one who will look for me forlornly when I'm gone...who will open my bedroom door hopefully, thinking maybe I'd mysteriously returned without her seeing. She will wait by the window next to the door for me...each morning. She will become sadder and sadder as the days go on by without my return. Food will disinterest her. I'm the one she will long to play tag with; the one whose voice on the phone will make her look around hopefully..."Is she here? Is she back?"


She will sleep in my empty cold bed nestled amongst my blankets and the nightgown I'd left flung onto the bed. And sadly, she will give up hope of my return.
Maybe.

Her name is Mayo.
And she is the Princess. 10 pounds of adoration.
The one who makes me smile rare smiles these days.
As I pack for the trip to the hospital and prepare for my two or three week absence...I think of the heart that will mourn my absence. Of the loneliness and sadness she will feel...and I wonder:
Is a new hip worth a broken heart??

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment, even to scold me, (if you must) Just PLEASE try to be kind! Anyone can comment, even those without accounts. Just select the "anonymous" tab and if you want, identify yourself in the body of your comment.