Saturday, December 4, 2010

Kindle the Fires of Change

This week I got a Kindle wi-fi. It was my husband's gift to me for my birthday...and yes, my birthday is still several days away...but he was too excited to wait. I struggled with the decision as to whether or not to go "digital" and join the 21st century by purchasing one of these devices. This hesitation was on several fronts.

One is that, as a writer, it is sort of like sneaking over to the enemy camp...The future of publishing is going to be greatly challenged to take on a new shape in order to survive the advent of e-books. Writers will no longer be able to walk away with the profit they once did...and what of the zillions of bookstores that will now be jeopardized by these intruders? Mom and Pop businesses where I have spent many happy hours and many hard-to-come-by dollars on their wares, will now most likely not survive...at least not by selling books alone. And what of the careers of the agents, printers and that whole trade which previously relied on the publication of books? Isn't it rather Benedict Arnold of me to buy one of these items??

Well, as a publishing agent recently said in his blog; books survived the advent of the printing press...and that of the computer and personal publishing...So they will have to adapt and revamp old systems...it is the way of the world. Change challenges us to be creative and fluid in our approaches...keeping us from getting too staid, comfortable, and boooorrring in our pursuits and habits. It truly is "Keep up; or get out:" right now for those involved in any way with the sale and production of books. And how does this affect the writer? Well in many ways.
For one, they no longer necessarily must face the daunting price of production for their wares....and thus do not rely on the agents and publishers as they once did. So how can that be bad? (for the writer and the public; not for the poor abandoned publishing industry....) For one thing it means that any Tom, Dick or Harry may now quite easily write and publish his own book...So the potential danger is that the quality of the products available, may greatly suffer. It means that the means of reimbursement must be looked at carefully and revamped and also that safeguards must be put into place to forbid and prohibit illegal distribution and marketing of the written works so as to protect the copyright of the writer. So there is a lot involved. And much needs to be looked at and carefully thought out in order for this transition to go smoothly.

And still, there will be purists, like my daughter and my friend's daughter, (of the same age - in their late teens)...who vow never to commit the sacrilege of owning an e-Reader. Oddly, it is the very generation, so attached to their electronic gadgets, among my own acquaintances, who are most opposed to this transition. They love the feel and smell and ability to HOLD and POSSESS the books and do not want to give this up for an impersonal piece of plastic. I can see that. In fact, I struggled with the decision myself for that reason. I LOVE my book collection! It is vast and much treasured. However, the truth is that I was not reading much anymore. Part of that reason was that it is getting more and more difficult for me to grip and hold a book and to have the dexterity to turn the pages due to the crippling of my hands with arthritis. The Kindle, easily beats a book in the ease of operation...at least in that regard.

Now, I struggle with a new dilemma. I sort of never want to read a paper book again after getting my Kindle. (painful confession , that was). And I have a number of books I'd recently purchased that I have yet to read. Do I now, have to purchase the e-version of them in order to do that? A bit redundant , yes? Also, there are many beloved books in my collection...ones that I want to refer to and reread many times. Do I also buy all of those? I would easily go broke and never even get a single new book that I don't already own! So these questions will have to be assessed and evaluated one at a time...and some tough decisions must be made.

And there is also the great danger and temptation of that "single click ordering" that is so easy and nice. Just one little click, and there, Bingo! within a second, you have a new book. Uh-oh! Do I smell danger here? Well, I've made myself a promise not to purchase a book (Unless it is a reference book or something like a Bible) unless I've read the ones I already own. That should greatly slow me down. This is where Amazon's "Wish List" becomes a precious commodity. If I MUST have a book, just stick it in there, until I have the money and am ready for new fodder.

Speaking of all this reminds me, I have a GREAT book to go and read. What am I doing here talking to you??
haha. JK

1 comment:

  1. Cynthia, I guess as a writer you did struggle with the decision to go digital. However, the Kindle seems like in one way it is a godsend for people such as yourself who find it difficult to grip and turn pages. There is a lot of things to consider, though, and for me I am with your daughter. As long as I am able I will stick to the written word. Trish, on the other hand, will altrnate between e-bppks and the real mccoy. Thr implications are so vast that it is going to take a while before things are truly resolved. So many people are involved apart from the writer. As for the quality of weriting; i do not believe that any Tom, dick or Harry would survive long if their work was not up to par. Yes, publishing houses have got to change and they will adapt as they always have. Where things might come unstuck s copyrights. Already the internet is a melting pot of illegal activity from music to films and even published works. The Kindle is another digital tool and must, therefore, be open to illegal marketing of the products. This is te biggest implication for authors and publishing houses as they syand to lose a lot of revwenue, as the music industry has found. What can be done about it? Not much it would seem. There is not yet a global internet police force to monitor your eveery keystroke so it is a dangerous game thatis being played out. As I say, it is a great innovation for the infirm and disabled and particularly the arthritic and sight challenged, but for the future of writing and publishing I think the jury must still be out.

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to comment, even to scold me, (if you must) Just PLEASE try to be kind! Anyone can comment, even those without accounts. Just select the "anonymous" tab and if you want, identify yourself in the body of your comment.