Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Censorship or Political Correctness?

It's three a.m....Much pain; no sleep. Ahh well, that's my life... It gives me time to pray...and to catch up on my blog writing, so it's not all bad.

Today a blogger friend of mine sent me an email, panicked because another blogger had posted a link to her blog and said that her blog post had served as a factor in his recent downslide mentally and emotionally as he struggled with a minor form of mental illness. She asked me with some concern, whether I thought she had said anything inappropriate. I read through both of the blog posts in question and then had to tell her honestly, that NO, she had done nothing amiss. She asked me whether she should begin to put a disclaimer and warning on her blog posts that they may be triggering to some individuals.

I thought for a minute, and then had to say, "No, I don't think that is necessary."
I thought for a few minutes more and then began to laugh to myself at the absurdity of the point to which we have come in this politically correct and liability-minded litigational world. I began to make up scenarios to myself that may trigger some unfortunate soul and thought that maybe EVERYTHING put into print should perhaps have that same "trigger" disclaimer attached.

For example:
  • Should a post mention a person's trip to the mall; well, that just MAY trigger someone's agoraphobia
  • Perhaps a person with OCD (Obsessive Compulsive Disorder) may feel compelled to count the characters on your post, so that too could present a problem for which you just may be liable.
  • You might mention that you have a cold; and this could set someone's hypochondria wild.
  • AND, you might mention Jesus and a schizophrenic just MAY think you're talking to him!!
(Sorry if those examples offended anyone. It's pathetic but I need to add my own disclaimer here for fear of retribution as well. I myself have schizophrenia...but I also have a sense of humor, which borders on the sick side; so I feel that this gives me the "right" to comment in this vein. If you don't think it's funny,...well, there are lots of other posts you might read instead... :) )

I had myself in stitches at the thought of these absurd examples...and it is indeed a sorry state we've come to in a society when we need to hamper our right to free expression in order to tiptoe around hypersensitive feelings. I do believe that we should also take care not to be offensive or explicit in manners that are not appropriate for children to see...But a good laugh, or plain old honest expression, such as the blog of my friend, should NOT be exposed to self-censorship.

2 comments:

Please feel free to comment, even to scold me, (if you must) Just PLEASE try to be kind! Anyone can comment, even those without accounts. Just select the "anonymous" tab and if you want, identify yourself in the body of your comment.