Thursday, June 16, 2011

A 160 Pound Tadpole

....So I shared recently with a friend, my desire to learn to really swim this summer. You see I "kinda" swim....I can stay afloat and get from point A to point B (provided it's not more than ten feet away lol) but I don't do it with any kind of grace....NOR do I get my face wet. lol. You see, I never had any real opportunity to learn, nor to go into a pool or lake very often, as my childhood was firmly landlocked in Hackensack, NJ. There, in that city environment, I was an expert bike rider and could run and do cartwheels with the best of 'em.... But when I got to Camp Spofford for my first time...I stared at the lake in awe...and promised myself, "I'm NOT going in THERE!"

But yeah, swimming lessons were on the docket as part of every camper's schedule...and I found myself standing in chest high water about thirty feet from the life guard, having just watched his demonstration and was told, "Come on, try it! Swim to me!" So I told Jesus I'd be there to see Him momentarily as I plunged into the water with enormous amounts of reluctance.

I splashed a lot...and I traveled...but I had this "secret" I REALLY was walking with my feet on that rocky bottom and "swimming" with my arms! I have to laugh now as an adult at the stupidity of mine not to realize I was fooling NO one. And I give kudos to that gracious lifeguard for not laughing aloud.

He
didn't laugh. And I didn't pass the test necessary in order to go beyond the yellow floating line which divided the shallow water from the deep. As I stared out over the water, I saw "The Island" out in the lake...where only the best swimmers could reach...and I wanted to go there badly...but NOT badly enough to stick my face in that water!

So you see other than that one week at camp, the rest of my year I traveled with my feet firmly on dry , HOT pavement and at that age, all I felt was relief that no one was forcing me to swim or to learn to. However, now, as an adult, I recognize that swimming is one of the best cardio workouts that exist. And it is completely non-impact...the work which the swimmer does, being masked by the buoyancy of the water, enabling them to work their body hard, and not to feel like they are working at all.

So several weeks ago, as I penned a list of goals for myself this summer, on that list I wrote firmly; determinedly; "LEARN TO SWIM." I shared somewhat with some abashment, this goal with my 19 year old daughter and was surprised when she didn't laugh, but rather said, "Mom, I think that is so cool that you want to swim at your age." I didn't even get offended at those last three innocuous words...because the compliment was heartfelt and sincere. The fact that my daughter thinks I'm cool for wanting to swim further cemented my desire into determination.

I looked around for swimming lessons. The tadpoles...was the name of a swimming class. However, I don't know of any 160 pound tadpoles...so really didn't think a 48 year old novice swimmer would be very welcome. Finally after striking out completely in my own searches, I was speaking to a friend...and I confessed to her my desire. She said, "Oh, I think there is someone who gives lessons in my community." And I was completely surprised when Anna called several days later with the details about how she would drive me and accompany me every Friday to the pool where the woman had agreed to allow me to attend the lessons.

So . Okay.
Tomorrow is FRiday. The first Friday of the 30 weeks of classes.
I haven't heard anything more from Anna.
And I'm scared to call her.

For one thing it is only about 45 degrees at night and between 65-80 during the days. That water is going to be COLD. And arthritis and cold water do NOT make good bedfellows. Also, I confess to having last minute ---ummm, shall we say, "hesitations"....no, I think "TERROR" is more fitting. Because you see, if I walk my way across the pool--arms thrashing--I'm sure it will be a subject of great hilarity in the 500 or so people who will be watching...and my ego has grown considerably more tender than it was at the age of 10. I'm not at all sure that this asthmatic, post bilateral hip surgery, arthritic woman is even capable of getting afloat, never mind swimming laps...which is my ultimate goal.

But I promised Anna I would try. And I will....

Assuming she calls or show up on my doorstep.
But am I going to call to nudge her??
Doubtful.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment, even to scold me, (if you must) Just PLEASE try to be kind! Anyone can comment, even those without accounts. Just select the "anonymous" tab and if you want, identify yourself in the body of your comment.